It's summertime here in Milwaukee and you know what that means. I'm not talking about cold brew coffee. I'm talking about the Brewers, cold beer, and hot days by the lake.
But since it is cold brew coffee season, we're here to give you the lowdown on everyone's favorite summer coffee obsession and our best (and super simple) recipe for making delicious cold brew coffee at home.
What is cold brew coffee, you ask? Cold brew coffee is made by steeping coffee grinds in cold water for an extended period of time, usually 12 hours or more. The result is a coffee that is less acidic and has a smoother flavor than coffee brewed with hot water. It's perfect for summer because it can be served cold or over ice, making it the perfect refreshing beverage to beat the heat.
Cold brew coffee is all the rage these days and for good reason. It's super easy to make at home, it's less acidic than hot brewed coffee, and it has a smooth, rich flavor that is perfect for summer. Cold brew coffee is also a great way for all of us addicts to get our caffeine fix without having to suffer through hot coffee in the intense summer heat.
We're big fans of cold brew around here and we think you will be too. Follow our simple recipe below and you'll be sipping on the best cold brew coffee at home in no time.
- 1 cup of coarsely ground coffee (we recommend trying it with our Brunch Blend for a deliciously smooth flavor)
- 1/2 gallon of cold water
- A large pitcher or jar
- A fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth
- A coffee filter
1. To make cold brew coffee, start with cold, filtered water. We like to use a cold brew coffee maker, but you can also use a French press or mason jar.
2. Add coffee grounds to your cold brew maker or French press. For our recipe, we like to use 1 cup of coarsely ground coffee for 1/2 gallon of water. We always recommend grinding your beans fresh right before you use them to get the best flavor.
3. If using a cold brew maker, simply add cold water to the coffee grounds and stir. If using a mason jar or French press, slowly add cold water to the coffee grounds, stirring as you go.
4. Once all of the water has been added, stir once more and then seal your cold brew maker or cover your French press or mason jar with the lid.
5. Steep your cold brew coffee for 12-24 hours. We like to let ours steep for at least 12 hours, but 24 hours is even better.
6. After steeping, remove the lid from your cold brew maker or French press and give it a good stir.
7. Place a coffee filter over a fine mesh strainer and slowly pour the cold brew coffee through the strainer into another pitcher or jar.
8. Once all of the cold brew coffee has been strained, you're ready to enjoy! Serve over ice or keep it in the fridge for a cold, refreshing cup of coffee anytime.
There you have it, our super simple recipe for cold brew coffee. Give it a try and let us know how you like it!